Thursday, October 09, 2008

Breakfast at Kopi Roti

It's another boring trek home, and I wasn't even able to get some sleep beforehand. One glance at the fingerscan machine tells me its already 9AM, a good four hours since my scheduled logoff time. I don't have anyone to take the trip home with me today, so I was thinking of eating somewhere new, for a change. I remembered an old tip of my former teammate MJ. She said that the bread in Kopi Roti is wonderful and its worth visiting sometime. We planned to visit it before, but never got around to doing so. That was over a year and a half ago. With nothing much to do aside from sleeping, I hopped on a cab and headed to Kopi Roti in Katipunan, a quick 10 minute trip from our office in Eastwood.

Quick note: Kopi Roti originated in Singapore. Kopi = Coffee and Roti = Bread.

The closest branch was in Katipunan Avenue, in Quezon City, relatively close, but out of the public transportation's reach [I mean Jeepneys and tricycles]. The place itself is not too big; a few tables inside and much more set up outside. I was all alone, so I settled in the closest seat to the door.



I ordered myself a Kopi Bun, soft boiled eggs [which looked weird in the picture], and a cup of Kopi. I got charged for 105Php for the whole meal. There were a few people inside and most of the patrons are outside in the open area. I did not want to be outside since the branch was located along the busy streets of Katipunan, where cars drive by nonstop for most of the day [imagine the pollution].







I settled in and had a good breakfast. The Kopi Bun, the store's specialty is like a giant pandesal with a very creamy filling. The bread is very soft in the inside but the crust is very crunchy and chewy. It was very filling and the Kopi compliments it quite nicely.

The soft boiled eggs were something I'm not too crazy of. It was okay, but definitely not worth the price in my opinion. For 35Php, you get two soft-boiled eggs with what seems to be soy sauce and white pepper powder. It was a unique take on how to flavor the egg, but definitely not what drives the people to Kopi Roti.

After breakfast, I was thinking of dessert, but the Katipunan branch apparently doesn't serve the desserts in the pictures of their menu. Too bad, there seemed to be something really nice I wanted to try out. Oh well. ^_^

2 comments:

thinkerthird said...

Meron pala sa Katips nito? He he. I've got a taste of their bread in MOA. It really tastes great. I'm not really a fan of coffee but it's not bad to have some caffeine in body once in a while. Anniversary pa nila yun kaya buy one take one. Ha ha! Kuripot lang e.

bebot said...

I love Kopi Roti!

My first taste of Kopi Roti was from TL Tricia. (Third's former TL). She brought me a bun as pasalubong! Sarap noh!