Monday, September 17, 2007

Phoenix Mercury shocks Detroit to win WNBA title

A quick 20-9 run midway during the first quarter powered the Phoenix Mercury to their first ever WNBA title over the Detroit Shock.

It was a contrast of styles that dictated the series as Phoenix, the league's top offensive team, faced off against the defending champions Detroit Shock, the top defensive team in the league. The series was tight as the two teams split the first four games of the five-game playoff, with each team winning on the other's homecourt.

Phoenix's Cappie Pondexter scored 26 points and was named the MVP of the Finals series.

I personally would be the first to admit that my prediction for this series was off. I wrote about my playoff predictions in length here. I fully expected the Shock to be able to contain the Mercury's two top guns Taurasi and Pondexter, but they were quickly deflated by the fast start by Phoenix and never recovered in the clincher.

No comments: